I spent last night cleaning up alternate names in my genealogy database. If I’d RTFM, I’d’ve input them correctly the first time, but I didn’t. So now the alternate names are properly cross-indexed, and that you can look up someone by any of their names (assuming I added alternate names to that record).
This becomes important when you’re looking for people like my great grandfather, who was named Cecil but went by John. Both names now show up properly in the index.
Next, to fix the census fields so that they display properly. Aieee! That is going to be a nightmare. Along with that, occupations also need to be moved so that they no longer display as dates.