I finally finished one book that had been lingering, so there’s hope that I might make some progress on the others. Maybe.
Category Archives: Bookarts
I spent Christmas weekend finishing up work on a collage book I started two years ago. It was enormous (108 pages), so I don’t know when I’ll find the motivation to sit down and scan the whole thing. I did a page-through video, though. (Audio provided by Thomas, who decided that was the perfect time to sit down next to me and chew on his Benebone.)
I found these kids’ books at Goodwill today and couldn’t reaist them. I think Piglet would approve.
I moved some junk around and, of course, found a big Rubbermaid tub of collage and paper stuff I’d squirreled away. In there was some paper I’d torn down for a book, and I’d even cut the boards. So I thought I’d bind it. Once everything is assembled, a basic Coptic binding goes quickly. I think this one took me 15 minutes.
I spent the afternoon tearing down a bunch of crappy paper into book-sized pieces. Reduce, reuse, recycle! I have enough for a total of five regular coptic bound books plus two single sheet coptic books.
I finished the two smaller books.
This one is 3 x 3 inches. The pages are made from the tail-end of some totally unacceptable chipboard-type cardstock that I love shamelessly. I’m sure it’s brimful of acid and other vile things, and I do not care.
The second one is 3 x 2 7/8 inches. It’s filled with heavy, light blue, cold press paper that was the outer portfolio for a bunch of ritzy old master posters. The portfolio paper was too nice to throw away, so I hung on to it.
three needle, single sheet Coptic bound book using recycled materials
7 1/2 x 5 1/4 inches
The boards used to belong to a college yearbook. The pages were cut down from larger pieces I did years ago and meant to bind but never got around to it. They were single folded sheets, then, which would have been easy to do as a Coptic binding with single-sheet sections. But I’ve been wanting to try out one of Keith Smith’s single sheet Coptic bindings, so I decided to cannibalize some old work to practice on.
Why single-sheet Coptic? Because I’ve got all kinds of single sheets of things that I want to turn into books, but I don’t want to stab-bind them. I want the pages to lay completely flat.
It’s not perfect. Because I was working with single, unfolded sheets, it was a little too easy to get them flipped upside down. Which I did. Which meant that the center section of sewing is a little skewed because the center holes in the flipped sheets did not line up properly. Also, though this is actually less annoying, those pages are now upside down. I’ll have to go in and rework them so that they make sense. Story of my life. Boys and girls: Never attempt bookbinding while drinking bourbon. It’s a bad combination for a lot of reasons. Like blood.
An alphabet book of collage with altered poems taken from Wallace Bruce’s In Clover and Heather
5 x 3 1/2 inches
16 signatures (32 pages)
140lb Cotman cold press watercolor paper Coptic bound with linen thread
The set is here. I had a few extra pages, so there are four bonus spreads. I’ll scan and post those tomorrow.