Last night my furnace switched off before the house was up to temperature, and when I checked the breaker, it had tripped and the entire panel was hot. AIEEE! Not wanting to burn down the whole building, I left the breaker off and called maintenance this morning. After much trouble-shooting, it turned out that the problem was with the 1960s era breaker box.
So I spent the day freezing (and starving!) while electricians tried replacing wiring and old breakers. But the panel still kept overheating, so they finally pulled it and replaced the whole thing.
Thomas was a very good boy while a bunch of total strangers set up camp and worked in the dining room. He schmoozed when they came over to say hi, but the rest of the time he hung out on his tuffet and supervised.